Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sick baby, sick mom, and bumpy daydreams

Thanks auntie Becka and Uncle Greg for the sweeeet ride!

Family portrait. Not all quite on the same page yet, but getting there...

The very strange and trippy restaurant we ate at with the Douglasses today. That's Dave, Jeanie, Michael, and Tony, and they're here to adopt two more girls! The pictures next week will probably have them included...

The beautiful lake Makabat took us to today for lunch and a swim. But as you can see...

...mom is SICK. So mom slept and Brian took unsolicited photos.

So when I woke up this morning it literally felt like there were little elves in my throat with knives slashing it up. I couldn't talk except to whisper. In any other situation, any work or social situation, I definitely would have cancelled. I was very messed up this morning. But what could we do? I had to go to visit Evan, and so I went! I popped three advil, two robitussin, a dramamine, and three vitamins and I was on my way. Now that I'm really sick I feel even worse for Evan, as this illness sucks! Poor little guy! And poor me! Thank god we are back to the apartment now.

The good news, however, is that we got to ride in a PASSAT today! YEEEEEHAAAAWWWW! It must have been a 1985 Passat or similar, but man, it was a limousine compared to our ride all week. Remember that post of mine about "the heap"? Well, Yergeldi didn't make us ride in the heap again... until he acquired a new, different heap. These car/truck things are called "Nivas", and they are not the most comfortable things in the world on the best roads. Think 1980 Jeep with no suspension or shocks crossed with the interior of a 1975 Datsun and you'll begin to approach where we've been at. Then add the fact that it didn't go more than 40mph (raising our driving time to 3 total hours per day), that 1/3 of the road is dirt and under construction, and that the other 2/3 of the road is sort of like a 2 lane highway after a serious flood, full of potholes, etc. On a good day, a really good day, we could pretend that we were on an african safari, lumping along slowly through the pridelands in search of adventure. On a bad day it just sucked, period.

So, to say the very, very least, today I totally lucked out. To be this sick and to ride in the lap of luxury (it had SEATBELTS even!) was definitely the product of a little help from the universe. My thought on "bumpy daydreams" was from yesterday, as it's impossible to sleep in a Niva, and so you just sort of rest over the rocks and holes in the road. But in the Passat....ahhhhhhh....these were bumpy dream dreams.

Jen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home