Saturday, June 24, 2006

Leaving the country at 9:10

Hey all,

My first solo post here. I'm sitting in JFK, finally gathering my thoughts as I watch a 747 pull away from the gate. This one’s heading to China. We, of course, are heading to Kazakhstan, well, Frankfurt, Germany is next, then on to Kazakhstan. But first, 3:05 left of our layover.

Though it may come as a surprise to many who know me, this will be my first overseas trip. I’ve never been to Europe, much less Asia, and here I am, on my way to a place most people have never even heard of!

One would think that this trip would be absolutely terrifying. It definitely has been at times. I’ve had my moments where I wondered what exactly it was we thought we were doing. Is this really us, doing this? Crazy!

The home study seems like a lifetime a ago... at least. And back then, the actual trip seemed like a distant dream. But now, here we are. The waiting is over. I’m sitting next to my wife at Gate 7 of the International Terminal of JFK, and we’re already on our way.

Together, we’re going to the other side of the world to get our son.

It’s the “together” part that’s makes it all okay. It’s together, that we’re staring a family. It’s the “together” part that makes me sure that there’s nowhere else I’d rather be.

(It’s still pretty crazy though.)

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home